Monday, August 19, 2013

Table Group Leaders

Alright, ya'll. (I was born in Mississippi, so it's okay for me to say that.) I'm trying out something new this year. In a previous post, I mentioned Little Lovely Leaders' idea for handling paper distribution. She has baskets on each groups' bookshelf. She puts the paper that the students need for the day in the baskets, and then the table leaders hand them out when the teacher directs them to. I'm so excited to try this out! Here's what my group shelves look like after today:


There were so many textbooks left in my room. Most of them we use, but not every day. So I put the books on the shelves. I didn't want a bunch of stuff cluttering up their desks. (They have enough junk as it is.) There is a plastic shoebox container on the middle shelf with glue, scissors, coloring implements, etc. The caddy has tissues, Germ-X, and the table leader's badge.


This is my unintentionally crappy shot of the Purell dispenser. I was tired and in a rush. Don't judge. I put a rubber band that matches the group color around the pump to limit the distribution. I also put a group color label on there.


I found a whole bunch of Smokey the Bear lanyards. So, with a paint chip, a laminator, and a hole punch, I made group leader badges. I will look out for the leaders to handle this prestigious responsibility. They pass out the papers, get supplies, and clean the bookshelves: a very high honor indeed.


The baskets have my beginning of the year letters already. I still need to fill them with first day activities, but I thought I'd go ahead and put what they'll need at the end of the day on the bottom. Smart, right?

I have scripted out my first three days. Here's how I plan on teaching the papers procedure: (It follows WBT's three-peat idea.)

“Class!
As you may have noticed, each table group has a color. Tell you neighbor what color your group is. Teach!
….
Class, class!
Explain to your neighbor how you knew what color group you were at. Teachity-teach!
….
Oh, class!
Ask your neighbor, “Do you see this basket full of stuff?”
Hands and eyes!
(Speak softly.) This basket will be full of materials you need for the day. I will be looking for great student leaders to be group table leaders. They will be in charge of handing out materials when I ask them. Teach your neighbor what I just taught you. Teeeaaach!
….
Class!
For the next couple of days, I will let various people be table leaders until I find the ones who will get that honor. For now, I will assign one for today. That person will be the table leader just for today. Teach your neighbor about table leaders. Teach, teach, teach!
….
Oh, my class!
(Assign table leaders.)
Table leaders, when I say papers, please hand out to everyone at your table the big, white pieces of construction paper. When I say papers, everyone says, “Papers, papers, papers!” Students, when you get the paper, place it at the top right hand corner of your desk with your questionnaire. Teach your neighbor what I just said. Teach!
….
So, class!
When I say, “Papers!” you say, “Papers, papers, papers!” The table leaders will hand out to everyone at your table the big, white pieces of construction paper. Students, when you get the paper, place it at the top right hand corner of your desk with your questionnaire. If everyone can do this by the time I count down to zero, the class will get a point. Papers! (Practice and re-teach as necessary.)”


No comments:

Post a Comment